Central South University (CSU) is designated high risk for its high level of defence research and close relationship with China’s defence industry.
Out of all universities subordinate to the MOE, CSU reportedly receives the most military research funding and was the first to receive a weapons production license.http://archive.fo/pPDux ; http://archive.fo/kjBmI In 2008 and 2011 respectively, the defence industry agency SASTIND and the Ministry of Education (MOE) signed agreements to jointly supervise CSU.http://archive.fo/jsBxZ/image ; http://news.csu.edu.cn/info/1003/80531.htm Under this arrangement, SASTIND committed to expanding CSU’s involvement in defence research and support the development of its School of Aeronautics and Astronautics and Military Industry Technology Research Institute.https://web.archive.org/web/20190606005331/http://news.csu.edu.cn/info/1003/80531.htm
CSU’s defence research appears to focus on metallurgy, materials science, and aviation technology, including the development of heat-resistant materials for aeroplane and rocket engines.https://web.archive.org/web/20190606014724/http://www.sohu.com/a/311463395_730060 The university has been involved in the development of China’s first atomic bomb, first intermediate-range ballistic missile, and first nuclear submarine.https://web.archive.org/web/20190606021436/http://kxyjb.csu.edu.cn/kygl/1.htm In 2018, it signed a strategic cooperation agreement with the Chinese Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology, a subsidiary of China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation that is included on the US BIS Entity List for its involvement in developing rockets.https://web.archive.org/web/20190606013526/http://bksy.csu.edu.cn/info/1076/4069.htm ; http://archive.fo/w4n5l ; http://archive.fo/TzJsC
CSU’s hosts a national defence laboratory on high-strength structural materials, which ‘carries out research on high-strength structural materials for astronautics, aeronautics, weapons and armaments, undertaking major national defence and military industry tasks, and researching topics that primarily serve major national needs.’http://archive.fo/tsmkN The laboratory is headed by the party secretary of CSU’s Powder Metallurgy Institute.http://archive.fo/9UKIS
Major defence laboratories
- National Key Laboratory of Science and Technology for National Defence on High-strength Structural Materials (轻质高强结构材料国防科技重点实验室)http://archive.ph/1GiOv
- State Key Laboratory for Powder Metallurgy (粉末冶金国防重点实验室/粉末冶金国家重点实验室)https://web.archive.org/web/20190606014336/https://journals.indexcopernicus.com/api/file/viewByFileId/480352.pdf ; https://web.archive.org/web/20190606014547/http://sklpm.csu.edu.cn/Talentteam.aspx?moduleid=a42a9614-c897-48b1-9364-06009b14d949&id=84d5715f-ca23-454c-b86f-87pkvqdd3268
- National Defense Discipline Laboratory for Astronautical and Aeronautical Materials (航空航天材料国防特色重点专业实验室)http://archive.fo/ywP2M
- National Defense Discipline Laboratory for Detection, Guidance and Control Technology (探测制导与控制技术国防特色重点专业实验室)http://archive.fo/ywP2M
Designated defence research areas
At least three research fields at SCU are designated as disciplines with defence characteristics.
- Control theory and control engineeringhttps://web.archive.org/web/20190812031622/http://soa.csu.edu.cn/xygk/xyjj.htm
- Detection, guidance and control technologyhttps://web.archive.org/web/20190812032145/http://saa.csu.edu.cn/Content.aspx?moduleid=3cc12150-00ba-49ad-a9c8-e1a1d0005022&id=5cf86c9f-8a74-4906-bcea-2df77c831a77
- Materials science and engineeringhttps://web.archive.org/web/20190812032342/http://www.hngqt.org.cn/home/news/info.html?id=368476
Noteworthy international collaborations
SCU claims that it has collaborative relationships with over 200 universities and research organisations in 30 regions including the United States, the United Kingdom, Australian, Germany, Russia and Canada.https://web.archive.org/web/20190606015003/http://www.csu.edu.cn/xxgk.htm
Last updated 19 November 2019. Unclear about any wording? Visit the terminology page.