Changchun University of Science and Technology (CUST) is designated high risk for its moderate number of defence laboratories, defence research areas and involvement in armaments science.
CUST is primarily supervised by the Jilin Provincial Government but has also been under the administration of SASTIND and its predecessors for over 30 years over its history.https://web.archive.org/web/20190531033715/http://www.cust.edu.cn/xxgk/xxjj/index.htm The university specialises in photoelectric technology and has a strong focus on defence research. CUST describes itself as having ‘safeguarding national defence as its sublime responsibility and sacred mission.’
CUST is a member of the B8 Cooperation Innovation Alliance (B8协同创新联盟 or 中国兵器协同创新联盟), a group of eight Chinese research institutions that specialize in armaments science—the ‘B’ in ‘B8’ stands for Chinese work for armaments, bingqi (兵器).https://web.archive.org/web/20190523024327/http://www.bit.edu.cn/xww/zhxw/152141.htm In April 2018, CUST established the School of Artificial Intelligence (人工智能学院) and the Artificial Intelligence Research Institute (人工智能研究院 ).https://web.archive.org/web/20191114064928/https://www.jeunetunisien.com/html/gzdt51819.html CUST researchers working on AI are likely involved in research related to facial recognition technology.https://web.archive.org/web/20191114065639/http://journals.nwpu.edu.cn/xbgydxxb/homeAction!downloadArticleFile.action?attachType=PDF&id=7191
Major defence laboratories
- State Key Laboratory of High Power Semiconductor Laser (高功率半导体激光国家重点实验室 / 高功率半导体激光国防科技重点实验室)https://web.archive.org/web/20190531034249/http://hpld.cust.edu.cn/page.aspx?id=152&mid=104
- Key Laboratory of Fundamental Science for National Defense of Space-Ground Laser Communication Technology (空地激光通信技术国防重点学科实验室）https://web.archive.org/web/20101223144416/http://www.yingjiesheng.com/job-000-956-837.html
Designated defence research areas
- Photoelectric and laser technology
- Optical transmission and detection technology
- Testing and measurement technology and instruments
- Military industry manufacturing and its automation
- Military-use critical materialshttp://zsb.cust.edu.cn/ArticleShow1.asp?ArticleID=2736
Noteworthy international collaborations
CUST oversees joint master’s degree projects with Russia’s St Petersburg State University and ITMO University on optical engineering.https://web.archive.org/web/20190531033715/http://www.cust.edu.cn/xxgk/xxjj/index.htm CUST also runs joint undergraduate projects on photoelectric information technology and engineering with Delaware State University in the United States.https://web.archive.org/web/20190531033715/http://www.cust.edu.cn/xxgk/xxjj/index.htm CUST established a Confucius Institute at Russia’s Buryat State University in 2007 and also claims to host a Confucius Classroom in the same city.https://web.archive.org/web/20190419110352/http://ieec.cust.edu.cn/en/pages?cid=150&pid=149 ; https://web.archive.org/web/20190531033715/http://www.cust.edu.cn/xxgk/xxjj/index.htm
Last updated 15 November 2019. Unclear about any wording? Visit the terminology page.