Soochow University is designated medium risk for its growing involvement in defence research.
Soochow University has been jointly supervised by the Jiangsu Provincial Government and defence industry agency SASTIND since 2016. This arrangement is designed to expand the university’s involvement in defense-related research and training.https://web.archive.org/web/20190815003652/http://zsb.suda.edu.cn/mobile/view.aspx?id=1853
The university has five designated defence disciplines, centred around research on radiation. In particular, its School of Radiation Medicine and Protection has strong defence links, as it has become a major teaching and research base for the nuclear industry.
Suzhou University is also involved in promoting military-civil fusion. The university cooperated with Changfeng Science Technology Industry Group (a subsidiary of missile manufacturer CASC) and Suzhou Xinkuan Electronic Technology Co., Ltd. to jointly establish the ‘Suzhou University Military-Civil Fusion Internet of Things Collaborative Innovation Center.’http://archive.ph/2019.11.18-214247/https://www.suda.edu.cn/suda_news/jxky/201809/ad5a4ba5-abf4-474f-9048-99acbda21e3f.html
Major defence laboratories
- Jiangsu Provincial Key Laboratory of Radiation Medicine and Protection (放射医学与辐射防护国家重点实验室)https://www.natureindex.com/institution-outputs/china/state-key-laboratory-of-radiation-medicine-and-protection-soochow-university/5af9049e14e48b71b245f8aa
- Key Lab of Modern Optical Technologies of Education Ministry of China (教育部现代光学技术重点实验室 )https://web.archive.org/web/20191125041426/http://mot.suda.edu.cn/jj/list.htm
- Jiangsu Provincial Key Laboratory for Advanced Carbon Materials and Wearable Energy Technologies (苏州市先进碳材料与可穿戴能源技术重点实验室 )https://web.archive.org/web/20190105032814/http://energy.suda.edu.cn/75/e6/c9470a292326/page.htm
Designated defence research areas
SASTIND has designated five areas of research at Suzhou University as defence disciplines, of which the following could be identified:https://web.archive.org/web/20190815000014/http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:4B9hZRwQyDcJ:shxy.suda.edu.cn/cb/ad/c7937a183213/page.htm+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au
- Radiation medicine
- Internal medicine (hematology) https://web.archive.org/web/20190814033127/http://medical.suda.edu.cn/xkjs/listm.htm
- Optoelectronics and Laser Technology
- Radiation protection and environmental protectionhttps://web.archive.org/web/20190815002742/http://oese.suda.edu.cn/6d/b0/c9420a224688/page.htm
Defence and security links
The School of Radiation Medicine and Protection was founded as the Department of Radiation Medicine at the Suzhou Medical College affiliated to the Ministry of Nuclear Industry, now called the China National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC).https://web.archive.org/web/20190814034519/http://fyxy.suda.edu.cn/9067/list.htm ; https://web.archive.org/web/20191118221051/http://www.1000plan.org.cn/qrjh/channel/78 This school has become an important teaching and research base for the national defense and nuclear industry. The college has also established close relations with international organizations such as the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).https://web.archive.org/web/20190814034519/http://fyxy.suda.edu.cn/9067/list.htm
Noteworthy international collaborations
Since 2007, Soochow University has been working with Portland State University in the joint management of a Confucius Institute. In 2010, Soochow University was selected into ‘China-Africa 20+20 Project’ by the Ministry of Education to assist the construction of Lagos University in Nigeria. In 2011, Soochow University founded the Chinese university overseas, Soochow University in Laos. https://web.archive.org/web/20190814025403/http://www.suda.edu.cn/general_situation/xxjj.jsp The university has also collaborated with Cambridge University in the United Kingdom, the University of Waterloo in Canada and the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology in Germany, and has formed part of the Alliance of Jiangsu-UK World-Class Universities (江苏-英国高水平大学合作联盟).https://web.archive.org/web/20190815000014/http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:4B9hZRwQyDcJ:shxy.suda.edu.cn/cb/ad/c7937a183213/page.htm+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au
Last updated 25 November 2019. Unclear about any wording? Visit the terminology page.