University of Science and Technology Beijing (USTB) is designated high risk for its close relationship to the defence industry and high level of defence research.
USTC is a leading university subordinate to the MOE.https://web.archive.org/web/20190310061400/http://www.ustb.edu.cn/xxgk/xxjj/index.htm The university engages in high levels of defence research and claims be among the top MOE universities for defence spending.http://archive.fo/QnTQO Since 2018, it has been under a joint-construction agreement between the MOE and defence industry agency SASTIND that is designed to expand its involvement in defence research.http://archive.fo/QnTQO
USTB is known as the ‘cradle of steel’ for its training and research on metallurgy.https://web.archive.org/web/20190310061400/http://www.ustb.edu.cn/xxgk/xxjj/index.htm The university’s defence research appears to focus on metallurgy and materials science. It hosts at least three laboratories dedicated to defence research, including two that are jointly run with state-owned defence conglomerates. The head of USTB’s Institute of Advanced Materials and Technology also heads a SASTIND-supported defence science and technology innovation team.https://web.archive.org/web/20190815233618/http://adma.ustb.edu.cn/xygk/zmxz/gfkg/5881177.html
The university holds secret-level security credentials, allowing it participate in research and production for classified weapons and defence technology projects.http://archive.fo/F2z9a
Major defence laboratories
- Key Laboratory of Corrosion and Protection (MOE) (腐蚀与防护教育部重点实验室（B类）)https://web.archive.org/web/20180522072302/http://adma.ustb.edu.cn/about.asp?fid=150 ; http://archive.fo/trG9p
- Norinco 59th Research Institute–USTB Atmospheric and Environmental Effects and Protection Joint Laboratory(中国兵器工业第59所—北京科技大学大气环境效应与防护联合实验室) https://web.archive.org/web/20180522072302/http://adma.ustb.edu.cn/about.asp?fid=150 ; http://archive.fo/FNn00
- CETC 13th Research Institute–USTB Joint Research and Development Center (中国电子科技集团公司第13所–北京科技大学联合研发中心)https://web.archive.org/web/20180522072302/http://adma.ustb.edu.cn/about.asp?fid=150
- This may be known as the Critical Applied Technologies and Materials Technology Development Research Base (关键专用技术材料技术建设研究基地)https://web.archive.org/web/20160305035857/http://www.ustb.edu.cn/jxky/ShowArticle.asp?ArticleID=28
- China Electronics Technology Group Corporation’s 13th Research Institute is based in Hebei Province and specialises in the development of semiconductorshttp://archive.fo/svKtf
Defence and security links
In 2017, USTB organised a forum on military-civil fusion together with SASTIND, the Central Military Commission and several state-owned defence and steel companies.http://archive.fo/Oq3C3
Last updated 4 November 2019. Unclear about any wording? Visit the terminology page.