The National University of Defense Technology (NUDT) is the PLA’s premier institution for scientific research and education. NUDT is directly subordinate to the Central Military Commission and ranks among China’s top universities for computer science, optical engineering, communications engineering and aerospace science.https://web.archive.org/web/20170602170852/http://www.nudt.edu.cn/introduce.asp?classid=4 As the only military institution sponsored under the PRC’s major university development programs (the Double First-Class University Plan, Project 985, and Project 211) NUDT is likely the best-funded engineering university in the PLA.
In 2017, NUDT was reformed and placed in charge of the Institute of International Relations in Nanjing, the National Defense Information Institute in Wuhan, the Xi’an Communications College, the Electrical Engineering Institute in Hefei, and the College of Meteorology and Oceanography in Nanjing.https://web.archive.org/web/20190415044601/http://m.b2cedu.com/UploadFiles_9492/201808/2018083115015151.pdf The Institute of International Relations in Nanjing is a key training centre for intelligence officers.
NUDT is known for its research on supercomputers, autonomous vehicles, hypersonic missiles and China’s Beidou Navigation Satellite System.http://archive.is/vC6dh The university developed the Tianhe-2A supercomputer at the National Supercomputing Center in Guangzhou, the world’s fastest supercomputer from 2013 to 2016.https://www.networkworld.com/article/3284066/ibm-system-ends-chinas-five-year-reign-at-top-of-supercomputer-rankings.html NUDT’s Tianhe-1A supercomputer is based at Hunan University’s National Supercomputing Center Changsha (国家超级计算长沙中心).
For over a decade, NUDT has aggressively leveraged overseas expertise and resources to build its capabilities. The Australian Strategic Policy Institute’s International Cyber Policy Centre’s October 2018 report ‘Picking flowers, making honey: The Chinese military’s collaboration with foreign universities’ documented and analysed NUDT’s overseas presence. The report found that by 2013 the university had sent over 1,600 of its professors and students to study and work abroad. Universities in the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Singapore, the Netherlands and Germany engage in some of the highest levels of collaboration with NUDT. Some of NUDT’s leading experts on drone swarms, hypersonic missiles, supercomputers, radars, navigation and quantum physics have been sent to study or work abroad.https://web.archive.org/web/20190523060318/http://bbs.netbig.com/thread-2944059-1-1.html
Defected Chinese spy Wang Liqiang claimed in 2019 that NUDT’s ‘Intelligence Center’ sent him fake passports for his mission to interfere in Taiwanese politics.https://www.auliving.com.au/zh-tw/201911/132010.html This indicates that the university plays an important role in supporting China’s overseas intelligence activity.
NUDT also works with foreign technology companies. Google and Microsoft have both worked with and trained NUDT scientists.https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/the-chinese-militarys-exploitation-of-western-tech-firms/ ; https://www.ft.com/content/9378e7ee-5ae6-11e9-9dde-7aedca0a081a
Major defence laboratories
- National Key Laboratory for Parallel and Distributed Processing (并行与分布处理国家重点实验室/并行与分布处理国防科技重点实验室)https://web.archive.org/web/20190523071018/http:/www.nudt.edu.cn/Articleshow.asp?id=8893
- State Key Lab of New Ceramic Fibers and Ceramic Matrix Composites (新型陶瓷纤维及其复合材料国家重点实验室/新型陶瓷纤维及其复合材料国防科技重点实验室)https://web.archive.org/web/20190523071221/http:/homepage.hit.edu.cn/zhangxinghong
- State Key Laboratory of High Performance Computing (高性能计算国家重点实验室)https://web.archive.org/web/20130929071256/http:/www.nudt.edu.cn/Articleshow.asp?id=6103
- State Key Laboratory of Complex Electromagnetic Environment Effects on Electronics and Information System (电子信息系统复杂电磁环境效应（CEMEE）国家重点实验室)https://web.archive.org/web/20190523080235/http:/www.nudt.edu.cn/Articleshow.asp?id=8571
- National Laboratory of Science and Technology on ATR [Automatic Target Recognition] (ATR国家重点实验室)https://web.archive.org/web/20190523071431/http:/www.nudt.edu.cn/Articleshow.asp?id=6921
- State Key Laboratory of Pulsed Power Laser Technology (脉冲功率激光技术国家重点实验室)https://web.archive.org/web/20190523071951/http://www2.scut.edu.cn/science/2016/0627/c8298a122797/page.htm ; https://web.archive.org/web/20190523072031/https://www2.scut.edu.cn/science/2018/0615/c8298a270726/page.htm
- Science and Technology on Information System Engineering Key Laboratory (信息系统工程重点实验室)
- National 863 Plan Laser Gyroscope Key Laboratory (激光陀螺国家“863”高技术重点实验室)
- State Key Laboratory of High Performance Computing (计算机学院拥有高性能计算国家重点实验室)
- Science and Technology on Scramjet Laboratory (高超声速冲压发动机技术重点实验室)http://archive.fo/M68y2
Economic espionage and misconduct
NUDT has used Changsha Institute of Technology, a historical name for the university, as cover to hide its military affiliation.https://www.aspi.org.au/report/picking-flowers-making-honey NUDT students applying to study overseas are instructed to downplay their military links by removing military courses from their academic records.https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2015/02/18/2015-03321/addition-of-certain-persons-to-the-entity-list-and-removal-of-person-from-the-entity-list-based-on-a
Noteworthy international collaborations
NUDT has established party branches abroad, sent over 1,600 students and professors overseas as visiting scholars and students, invited hundreds of foreign professors to its campus to give lectures, and built relationships with universities including New Zealand’s Massey University and the University of Cambridge.https://www.aspi.org.au/report/picking-flowers-making-honey Some of its specific overseas ties include:
- Collaboration and training on drone swarm technology and plasma physics at the Australian National Universityhttps://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/from-student-to-drone-swarms-how-the-chinese-communist-party-trains-its-cadres-in-australia-20181108-p50evg.html
- Collaboration and training on anti-jamming and high-precision navigation technology at the University of Cambridgehttps://www.aspi.org.au/report/picking-flowers-making-honey
- Collaboration and training on target recognition technology at Princeton Universityhttps://www.aspistrategist.org.au/the-chinese-militarys-exploitation-of-western-tech-firms/
- Collaboration and training on supercomputer and navigation technology at the University of New South Waleshttps://www.smh.com.au/world/australian-universities-are-helping-chinas-military-surpass-the-united-states-20171024-gz780x.html
- Collaboration and training on hypersonics at the University of Leedshttps://www.ft.com/content/ebe95b76-d8cc-11e8-a854-33d6f82e62f8
- Collaboration and training on drone technology at the University of British Columbiahttps://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-chinas-military-scientists-target-canadian-universities/
- Collaboration and training on scramjets at Lund Universityhttps://universitetslararen.se/2019/02/13/de-forskar-for-kinas-militar/
NUDT is included in Japan End User List for its involvement in missile development. It was also included in the US BIS Entity List in 2015 because it has imported equipment from the United States for its Tianhe-1A and Tianhe-2A supercomputers, which are used in the development of nuclear weapons.
Last updated 23 November 2019. Unclear about any wording? Visit the terminology page.